this post was submitted on 12 Aug 2026
55 points (100.0% liked)

United States | News & Politics

9412 readers
470 users here now

founded 6 years ago
MODERATORS
 

Lincoln’s roughly 5,000 sailors and Marines remain on a deployment that began Nov. 21. The carrier has been deployed for more than eight months while supporting U.S. military operations in the Middle East against Iran.

The deployment, which was anticipated to end in May, has been extended with no publicly announced return date.

A sailor aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln observes a fueling-at-sea alongside the USNS John Lewis, June 28, 2026. (U.S. Navy) In a separate incident aboard Lincoln, a sailor on watch saw a shipmate preparing to go overboard, and he intervened, according to the sailor’s wife, Maria Rodriguez.

Rodriguez said her husband called out to the sailor before reaching the individual and grabbing their arms, pulling them onto the deck. Her husband told her the sailor had not yet gone over the side when he got there. Three other sailors heard the commotion and came running to help.

Rodriguez’s husband told her about the incident several days after it happened.

“He said he hadn’t felt adrenaline like that in his life, and he was just so thankful he was able to get to [the sailor] in time, to stop them from going overboard,” Rodriguez said.

She did not know what happened to the sailor afterward.

Separately, Stars and Stripes reported Tuesday that sailors described an incident in which watchstanders stopped a crew member from jumping overboard. Stripes reported that the crew was informed about the incident through a shipwide announcement.

More than 200 family members attended a meeting in San Diego last week with acting Secretary of the Navy Hung Cao. During a separate virtual meeting later that evening, families raised concerns about sailors’ mental health, exhaustion and safety, according to recordings of the meeting reviewed by MS NOW.

top 3 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[–] SaveTheTuaHawk@lemmy.ca 11 points 4 days ago (1 children)
[–] chocrates@piefed.world 4 points 4 days ago

I'm considering this report suspect for now, the only source is Iran. Would love more details but I doubt our government is gonna tell us shit

[–] ulkesh@piefed.social 4 points 4 days ago

I wonder how many of them are now regretting their vote. Put a petulant man-baby with brain of a six year old in charge of the world's largest and well-armed military, and this is what happens.